How December is treating you so far? The days are getting colder here and more festive as they go! It’s cuddling time by night and since Natalia sinus infection is a thing of the past, we all sleep a little bit better now.
Well as good as a co-sleeping, breastfeeding mom can sleep anyways. That’s why every night is a battle to win a decent amount of sleep. Every night is a “go to the mattresses” kind of night, lol.
Funny thing about mattresses is the amount of competition regarding the memory foam ones in the past couple of years. In fact, the memory foam mattress is one of the fiercest competitors of the innerspring type. A lot of people prefer it because it does not only provide amazing support, but also comfort.
We have been thinking of getting a larger mattress for our bed to accommodate our growing toddler and as usual I made a list of things one needs to know when it comes to choosing the best memory foam mattress. I found this list of top 10 queen size mattress to be quite useful to us.
· Memory foam is available in various sizes. Because of this, the very first step that you need to know is the size that you want to get. This will help you to narrow down your choices. Our bed has almost 20cm width of wood on both sides of it so we are thinking of buying a mattress to cover that space and get us 20cm more!
· Take note that you can get the traditional memory foam, gel memory type or the more natural plant type. The traditional one is more popular among buyers. The nice thing about it is that with the help of your body heat, it follows your shape, which will help reduce pressure points. On the other hand, the gel memory foams use gel beads that allow better air flow. For those who prefer a more natural option, then go for the third one. It is known to be environment-friendly. A very serious consideration for us is the amount of chemicals used to produce such a mattress and how their emission could harm our health. We researched the matter while searching for a mattress for my daughter but she ended up sleeping with us after all.
· Some memory foams are known to be more effective in protecting you from dust mites and allergens. If you do not want to deal with dust mites, the best choice for you is the gel memory foam. If you have allergies, the traditional type will surely be excellent. For those who are looking for a mattress that is hypoallergenic, then you need to purchase latex. Aside from this, it is also ideal for you to choose hypoallergenic toppers and beddings to avoid allergic reactions.
· One’s sleeping position is also a big factor in choosing the best memory foam. If you tend to sleep on your side, you should go for mattresses that offer additional padding to support your shoulder and hip area.
· Ask about the foam’s density. More often than not, the higher the density, the more durable the mattress is. The top brands usually have 5 pound density foams. This type will usually outlast other foams by up to 10 years. Although, they are also firmer. For memory foams, the density range is between 2 to 5.
It is also crucial to ask about all the foam layers. Some manufacturers fail to let their customers know that only the top portion has the ideal density foams. Don’t be afraid to clarify it.
· Aside from density, you also need to ask about the foam’s comfort rating, which is also known as mmHg. Basically, it is the mattresses reaction when pressure is applied. As a rule, 32mmHg or lower is ideal since it can relieve pressure.
· You have various thickness options when it comes to memory foams. One important thing to remember is that thicker mattresses tend to be softer as compared to the thinner ones. Don’t worry; thin mattresses are still very comfortable to sleep in.
· And while memory foam is really amazing, you can increase your level of comfort by getting the proper topper. It serves as an additional cushion that can help you have a more relaxed and refreshing sleep. Toppers are available in three levels of firmness, which are soft, medium and firm. You just need to decide what you want, basing it on your preference and guides.
· Check the track record of the brand that you intend to buy. Read reviews and feedbacks from other customers. By doing so, you will have a more unbiased view of the mattress’ features. Only buy from reputable sellers and manufacturers that are serious when it comes to durability and quality.
· Do your research. Determine whether memory foam is really what you need. You can always ask for advice from your friends and relatives if they are also into this type of mattress. You can also seek the help of mattress experts.
At the end of the day, your choice will still depend on what feels the most perfect for you. Go for a test drive if it’s available to a store near you and try the mattress out. Granted it would just be for a few minutes but sometimes that’s all it takes to help you decide.
Are you thinking of getting a new mattress? Would you consider a memory foam one?
Lots of love